torsdag den 7. marts 2013

Prepping the week

Sunday is an infamous relaxations day and it should be but taking into consideration how hectic the weekdays are, maybe it would be wise to spend a few minutes, an hour or so to prep for the week to come. A food plan is always a good thing to have at hand, it saves the "what are we going to eat tonight" followed by "what do I have in the freezer?" and the panic "I have to go shopping for milk/potatoes/rice/bread etc"
Potatoes
Sunday night I peal a whole bag of potatoes (bought Saturday morning) and put them in a pot with water, if you have somewhere cool you can put them there but I put mine in the fridge. So Monday, I only have to find the meat and sauce needed for the food, pealing potatoes is a chore anyway and it takes up valuable time. Pealed potatoes in a pot of water is good for 2-3 days, personally I would change the water on the 2nd day.
Meat
Saturday/Sunday: When you've gone shopping, send the kids with daddy to the playground or somewhere else so you can work intensely for about an hour. Brown meat in a big pot, add water and broth, add vegetables - any kind you would like and if your kids are fussy eaters, chop it very finely or boil them first and then blend them into a pulp. Let it all simmer, add flavours, salt and pepper. I normally go very big in this stage, filling my 20 litre pot to the brim because then I divide the meat/veg stew into smaller portions and one becomes pastasauce (for pasta), one becomes a mild chilli (for rice) and one becomes a brown meat-sauce (for potatoes). Often I also take a few portions of the 'raw' stew and put in the freezer, this is good for Shepard's pie. When everything is done, flavoured and finished, it needs to cool off, I take a portion aside for dinner and the rest is divided into plastic-bags (I lack plastic-containers and room for them in my freezer) and one important thing is: label them! Mystery-dinner in this house never goes down easy

Sauce
There is no shame in ready made sauces or powder-sauce. It's quick and easy

Vegetables
I hate tinned or canned foods, I seriously hate them! I buy all my vegetables in frost or I buy them fresh at the marked, clean and portion pack them and stuff them in the freezer, it's easy that way to make sure you add a few greens to the plate, it's important for you and it's important to teach your child to eat.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar