fredag den 19. april 2013

Waste nothing

The average household in Denmark throws out 700 kg of edible food each year - to me that is a scary amount and such waste - both money wise but also food wise considering we live in a world where people still die from starvation every single day.
My mother (a very wise woman) gave me the advice when I complained about the kiddies never finishing their oatmeal or porridge, to save the leftovers and put it into the dough next time I baked bread. I do that now, a long with the pieces of banana Quinten leaves on his plate that goes brown, the applesauce Lily doesn't finish and the porridge each morning - everything in a container and into the freezer for next time I have to bake bread.
Leftover veggies from dinner also gets saved, put in a container and into the freezer for either to be blended into a pulp and added to the bread mix or added to the pastasauce.
Bread that has gone stale I either bake in the oven until crispy and then ground them up to make breadcrumbs for when making soufflé, crust for the chicken (legs, breast, you name it) OR I make bread-pudding. That's something that Steve has taught me and to be honest, he's the only one that eats it - I find it foul. But never the less, I put all the 'old' bread in a bowl, add sugar, coffee, raisins, half an grated appel and water and let it soak over night, mix it up until it resembles a bread dough. In to a baking pan (bread-style) and bake it for about 45 minutes. Normally I put chocolate on top but Steve does not like that (anymore) because it makes too much of a mess (don't ask)
The presents my kids get, either the ones that a double of something they already have or something that does not interest them, goes in a special cabinet, the gift cabinet, for when I am running out of time to find a little something for a cousin or when funds are low (and let's face it, we've all tried that) But a warning should be given: NEVER let the kids find out where the items are kept OR leave it unlocked. The consequences can be severe.
Clothes to the second hand shop: if it's of such a state that I wouldn't even dress my own children in it (I have only one standard: dry and not in threads) I cut it out to use the fabrics for some of my designs, my hubby's old jeans because some very nice hats for the kids for winter.
(to be updated)

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar