onsdag den 12. oktober 2011

Being a stepchild

I've been a stepchild and still is, my mother and father got divorced when I was around 2 so I've never experienced them together. Now my father got married twice during his life and my mother lives together with my stepfather going on 21 years now, my two stepmothers were very different, the first one, Karin, had two children of her own and was certainly not fond of me and especially not of my mother, she was a weird woman and I still, to this day, do not understand nor know what my father saw in her. They had a child together, Elisabeth, whom I haven't seen since she was around 8 months old, she is today probably around 20 or so and even though Karin contacted me a few years ago after my father passed away and asked, on the behalf of my halfsister, to create a contact I declined, like said, I haven't seen the girl for a lifetime and the only connection we have is half of our genes in common. The second wife of my father, Sus, was unable to have children even though she wanted one of her own badly, she always treated me right and never saw me as a problem to her relationship with my father, I liked her though at times I felt she was trying too hard, which is not really a bad thing.
My mother and my stepfather had a child together when I was 14, Marianne came into our lives when my mother was 38 and 14 days after my stepfather had turned 40, quite late to have a second one if you ask me, but my stepfather wanted one of his own which is perfectly understandable. Now the relationship between him and me have been turbulent, I lived with my mother and stepfather and only visited my father about 2 weeks a year and we barely spoke apart from that. My stepfather and I didn't speak to each other for 5 years, I can't even remember what went wrong but I'm sure he can. I was a troublesome teenager, being an only child for 14 years, first having my mother to myself and then at the age of 8 having to share her with another person and then at the age of 14 not being the only child anymore - oh yes, here it should be mentioned that I had serious problems and actually needed professional help, it was the beginning of my Borderline. When I was 15 I was 'shipped' of to boardingschool, a year I think back of with mixed feelings - let me put it this way: I haven't got contact with any one I met there.
When I finished boardingschool, the summer I turned 16 my mother found a room for rent further down the road from them and I lived there for a year before I got my first apartment, my mother pair for it all and I, still to this day, have no clue how she found the money for it but I guess it was important for her to get me out of the house so it wasn't a constant warzone. There was no screaming dialogue, I was the one acting out, I hated my stepfather and often slammed doors, I even broke a doorhandle once so I understand why I had to leave.
Today my father has passed away, I have no contact with any of my stepmothers and I refer to my stepfather as my father, I have come to realize that he was been there the entire way, been completely overthrown by the tornado called Bente and all the complications that comes with a modern family but he stayed and held on and he's been the only father I've known in my everyday life. In other words, he was there for me, maybe not when I needed it, but after the storm settled and he provided both me and my mother with a home and security, financially and physically and for that I am eternal grateful and I love him for it.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar