onsdag den 12. oktober 2011

Moving to Belgium

In October 2010 I packed up all my things, sub-lented my apartment to my former room-mate and ex-brother in law and Steve came and picked me, my things, my two cats and my two ferrets up and drove 1000 km and 15 hours back to Belgium. We were going to stay at his parents place until our apartment had gotten new floors, which we had to choose, buy and put down. His father and mother were extremely kind and very welcoming  and that made the moved and culture-change a bit easier.
Now the paper work was a whole different story, I was treated like an alien from time to time even though we live within the EU and we're supposed to have open boarders, Steve had to sign a contract saying that he would take care of me, financially and legally, because I couldn't take a job when I arrived, they had no understanding for the fact that I'm not going to lie at a job interview, I would always be honest and who would want to hire a pregnant woman? Not to mention, the only job I could get from day one was one in an Irish pub and heavy lifting and odd hours are not the best job, neither when you are in a relationship nor when you're expecting.
I'm still on that contract, I have my ID now and my health-insurance compliment of Steve and I am grateful for that, I cannot wait for the day I can repay him.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar